Train with British Nordic Walking
Why train with British Nordic Walking?
By training with British Nordic Walking you don’t just become a Nordic Walking instructor, you join a national community of Nordic Walking instructors in the UK and become part of a global network through the International Nordic Walking Federation (INWA).
As the only UK representative of INWA we train our instructors in the INWA 10 Step Method which enables you to teach Nordic Walking to the highest standard, giving benefits that other techniques are not designed to achieve.
We can also provide you with access to study for the YMCA level 2 qualification – ideal for anyone wanting to add other exercise programmes to their Nordic Walking instruction. With this YMCA course under your belt you will have both a UK recognised fitness qualification and be an accredited INWA instructor.
Alternatively you can train as a Nordic Walk Leader, qualifying you to lead walks for people who have already been taught Nordic Walking by one of our instructors and to assist an instructor in their group walks.
If your organisation is interested in running an in-house course, please contact us to discuss the options.
Who becomes a British Nordic Walking instructor?
British Nordic Walking instructors come from a wide range of backgrounds:
- Nordic Walking enthusiasts – of course! – including career changers, retired people and anyone looking for a new lease of life or another string to their bow.
- Fitness: personal trainers, gym instructors, Pilates teachers.
- Health: physiotherapists, osteopaths, GPs, cardiac rehab specialists, complimentary therapists.
- Community: charity and community group project workers, teachers.
- Outdoor enthusiasts: Outward Bound instructors, park rangers, walk leaders, fell runners, mountain leaders, orienteering coaches.
British Nordic Walking instructors can be found working on a commercial basis or as volunteers.
What is a Nordic Walking instructor training course like?
We run training courses throughout the year at our centres around the UK. Instructor courses last two days and include thorough tuition in teaching the INWA 10 Step Method as well as guidance on the practicalities of working as a Nordic Walking instructor. The course combines classroom-based theory with practical outdoors tuition.
The course fees include a full colour manual, assessment, certification and your first year’s annual membership on British Nordic Walking.
Are there any ongoing costs after qualifying as an instructor?
There are three costs to maintaining your status as a British Nordic Walking instructor:
Maintaining your Instructor status with British Nordic Walking
Your course fee includes a year’s Instructor License with British Nordic Walking so you can become part of a supportive Nordic Walking instructor community, align yourself with a nationally and internationally respected brand, enjoy practical help from our head office, and get a listing on our website – as well as many other benefits.
We make no further charges for our Licensed Instructors and you are free to operate as an independent instructor with no obligation to pay commission or any other fees to us in respect of your income. Of course, we hope you continue to be involved with British Nordic Walking and make the most of the opportunities that accreditation includes. You will be invited to renew your Instructor License after your first year and, at this point, we will ask you to maintain your standing as a British Nordic Walking instructor through a flexible programme of Continuing Professional Development.
To practice as a British Nordic Walking instructor you must take out appropriate insurance – as a Licensed Instructor with British Nordic Walking you can access competitively priced insurance through our scheme.
First Aid Qualification
To practice as a British Nordic Walking instructor you must take a first aid qualification which must then be renewed every three years. There are plenty of providers of this training around the UK.
You might also want to invest in attending some of our CPD courses and our annual convention although these are not compulsory costs to you.
What are the benefits of becoming a Licensed Instructor with British Nordic Walking?
Licensed Instructor benefits that you can tap into include:
Being part of the British Nordic Walking and INWA brands
- Endorsement by two leading organisations in the world of Nordic Walking to boost your credentials as a Nordic Walking instructor.
- The ability to use the British Nordic Walking and INWA logos on all your publicity material.
- Exclusive British Nordic Walking instructor’s jacket – show your affiliation and keep warm and dry at the same time!
Being part of the British Nordic Walking community
- Joining of a thriving, supportive community of instructors.
- Attending the British Nordic Walking Annual Convention to share experiences and learn about developments in Nordic Walking.
- Attending the INWA Annual Conference to meet Nordic Walking pioneers and hearing the latest research in the field.
- Access to INWA courses and scientific research into the health benefits of Nordic Walking.
- Regular email newsletters to keep you in touch with news of updates from British Nordic Walking and INWA.
- Ongoing support from our team at British Nordic Walking HQ with any questions you have.
Making savings and earning money
- 40% discount on a set of Exel teaching poles – a saving of around £400.
- Our members-only insurance scheme, designed specifically for Nordic Walking – negotiated by us to ensure that you get a competitive rate.
- 25% off the RRP of poles through our member only Instructor Retail Scheme – giving you the chance to earn through selling poles, spare parts and accessories to your clients.
- Discount on the standard price of the British Nordic Walking Convention – where you can be the first to hear about new developments in Nordic Walking.
- Discounts with Cotswold Outdoor, Snow + Rock, Runners Need and Cycle Surgery.
Getting help with promoting your Nordic Walking classes and groups
- A listing on our British Nordic Walking “Find an Instructor” web directory – a good way to help people find you. Use it in place of, or as a complement to your own web site.
- Membership of our exclusive Facebook group for British Nordic Walking Instructors where you can ask and answer questions, share your news, and support your colleagues.
- Free poster and leaflet templates – use these or create your own to suit the flavour of your local market. As long as you stick to our simple brand guidelines when using the logos, we’ll let you do what suits you.
- Access to our library of exclusive Nordic Walking images – use these on your web site or printed promotional material.
What is the full range of courses that British Nordic Walking offers?
We offer three key training courses for people wanting to work in Nordic Walking:
- INWA Nordic Walking Instructor
- YMCA Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Walking (Nordic Walking)
- Nordic Walk Leader
Our Licensed Nordic Walking Instructors can enhance their offering by taking specialist courses in:
- Children's Nordic Walking.
- Nordic Walking and people living with Parkinson’s
Any questions? Call us on 01332 504949. We’d love to hear from you.
What do instructors say about our training?
“Learning the complete 10 Step Technique was important, especially steps 6-10 which take Nordic Walking to its full extent. Even as an experienced Nordic Walker it was good to get feedback on my technique.”
“This has been the most enjoyable course I have been on for many years. As a tutor, Catherine’s enthusiasm and expertise were an inspiration – she’s a fab instructor.”
“The course was very enjoyable – hard work but rewarding.”
"Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the Instructor Course this weekend and meeting everyone. I have come away feeling really inspired and had my first 'business' meeting (and obviously a walk) this morning, with a friend who qualified as an Instructor in July. Thank you very much for all your help and ideas."