Maps, a compass, and planning your adventures
If you are interested in this course, please let us know using this form so that we can let you know when it is next scheduled.
Pre-qualification: Delegates must be INWA certified Nordic Walking instructors and currently registered with British Nordic Walking
This 3-hour workshop will be delivered online. You will receive a link prior to the course commencing.
Add variety and interest to your Nordic walks by enhancing your navigation skills and knowledge. This workshop will give you a thorough introduction to using maps and a compass confidently, enabling you to take your Nordic Walkers on new adventures. You will learn all the vital aspects of planning a safe and enjoyable route that suits your group.
The workshop will cover:
- Understanding how maps can be used to enhance your adventures.
- Differences between the various map types – 1:25,000; 1:40,000 and 1:50,000.
- Understanding grid references.
- Using grid references.
- Measuring distances.
- Locating yourself on a map.
- Which map(s) should I buy?
- Understanding your compass.
- Which compass should I get?
- Setting the compass to find North.
- Settings the compass to follow a bearing.
Using your Map & Compass Together
- Taking a compass bearing on a map.
- Using the map and compass together to follow a route.
- Using your map and compass to help figure out where you are!
Planning Your Adventures…
- Planning routes…
- Route cards
- Climatic conditions
- Time available
- Your experience
- Group experience
- Group safety
- Group safety kit
- Kit selection
- Use of OS mapping.
- Plotting routes on OS Mapping.
- Understanding ‘What3Words’.
This course will count towards your British Nordic Walking CPD activity for the year.
About the tutor
Steve Ellis is a British Nordic Walking National Trainer, having first qualified as an instructor in 2011.
He is an UIMLA International Mountain Leader, and Personal Trainer.
He has over 20 years of mountain navigation and leadership experience as well as being a Tutor/Provider of NNAS (National Navigation Award Scheme) Bronze & Silver Awards.
30 days prior to the course commencement date: 50% charge
14 days prior to the course commencement date: 100% charge
IMPORTANT: Please note that British Nordic Walking reserve the right to cancel or rearrange any British Nordic Walking course. We require a minimum of four attendees for the course to take place and the maximum number of places is restricted so please book early to avoid disappointment!
By booking onto this online course, you agree to not save any recording and not to film it with another device.